January 25, 2009

An awakening

We were one the road yesterday and both the boys had been napping in the car. We decided that it was time to wake them up so they would go to bed that night. We stopped in Altoona about 30 minutes from our house to run a few errands. I saw the pet store and thought that it might provide a good and pleasant distraction to being woke up.

Well we started out with Parker having wet pants. It was dark and cold outside as I am rummaging through the diaper bag for a change of clothes for him. Preston was getting impatient that I was beside him and not picking him up. I couldn't find underwear, so I told Jim to just put pants on him.

We venture into the pet store. Preston immediately warms up to the rabbits and birds. Parker is still whining a little, I try to get him to find some of the animals hiding in their houses (like the guinea pig or the lizzards) I spotted a big colorful bird that I thought would be fun for the boys to see. We had some friends that had a large bird similar to this and she would talk, and dance. So I am over there dancing for the bird hoping to get her to do something fun for us. Well the bird decides to squawk. Parker started crying and then Preston started crying. We immediately headed for the fish, a much quieter animal to observe. Well the bird kept going at it, each time the boys would cry and carry on. We tried to get them to pick out a new toy for Stanely, nothing was working. Jim took the boys out of the store while I finished up.

I came home to research what type of bird we had seen. It looks like a cockatoo, but with color. Planet pets says "a small bird that talks well, but can be noisy. it's voice can break glass" or make little boys cry and cover their ears.


The bird on the left looks the one we saw.

The best part was when we got home and Parker was getting ready for bed he realized he wasn't wearing any underwear and says "Hey no underwear, where my underwear?"

No more birds for us, I think we will stick to kitties.

1 comment:

Jeni said...

Savannah has a toy "Squawkers McCaw" that looks like the macaw you saw. It sits on a perch and will talk, sing, move to music, repeat things. The kids have a lot of fun with it. Less scary than a real one. The boys might like it.