March 13, 2009

The Princess and the Pea


Jim and I have always enjoyed going to plays and wanted to share that experience with our boys. Last year we had season tickets to the family theatre series at the Mishler Theatre in Altoona. It was a lot of fun and we figured if we started while they were young perhaps they would share this same interest with us.

Preston doesn't do well at live performances, the applause bothers him or the sitting still part. So we decided that Mom and Parker would go and Dad could watch Preston. So Parker and I went to the The Princess and the Pea.

Parker was unfamiliar with the story. The day of the event I told him we were going to see The Princess and the Pea and summed up the story so that he would have an idea of what was happening.

We were traveling from my folk's house so we had an hour drive. Parker managed to fall asleep on the way. He doesn't wake up real happy. The cold weather helped to jolt him awake. We arrived at starting time, luckily they were still selling tickets so the show was running a little behind. Parker used the restroom and then we found our seats. We were in the middle of aisle so we had to climb over several people.

Well part way into the show Parker tells me he needs to use the bathroom again. So we crawl over the people at the other end this time. When we return I decide we will sit in the empty row in front of us. 5 minutes later he tells me wants to go home, he has to go to the bathroom and he is tired. I make him wait it out until the end, not to mention our coats were still in the row behind us with people that would have to crawl over to get our coats to even leave early.

Afterwards we went for ice cream at the Meadows. They had it decorated in 50's memoriablia. Parker especially liked sitting in the little car.

After this experience I decided maybe he was too young to enjoy the arts, but when I asked him if he liked it and wanted to go again he said yes. I am giving him a second chance this coming week when "Lilly's purple plastic purse" will be showing.

No comments: