January 06, 2012

Sweet Corn

Growing up we always grew silver queen sweet corn. Now as a consumer who loves corn on the cob and white corn I wanted to try to some silver queen to see if it was what I remembered it to be. Because I buy my sweet corn I am at the mercy of what the farmer has decided to grow. My little garden is very big. I think I planted 12 plants. My corn didn't do so well. I had 1 stalk that was very persistant. It actually produced an ear of corn!

It was around Labor Day when I finally harvested this. It was only 3 inches long and it was a little ripe for my liking. I determined that as long as the corn is tender I don't care what variety it is. So I will probably pass on planting corn next year.
On a side note, I can green beans and have bought them from the Amish the past 2 years. My Mom's crop didn't do too well. I have been displeased with the variety. There again I am at someone else's mercy of what they chose to plant. I am seriously considering planting my whole garden in green beans so that I can produce enough to can. I have to have enough plants that are ripe at the same time to get a cooker full.

No comments: