May 11, 2011

DC for a day






The World Engineering Energy Council was held in Washington DC this past December. Since Jim is an engineer that works for a company named Energycap it was only fitting that his company attend this event. The company had a chartered bus and families were invited to attend. Jim was required to attend the conference, after 10 minutes of Parker running from booth to booth I could see the conference was not going to work for us. So the boys and I ventured out to brave the subway in Washington DC and explore a museum.

I felt like a champ mastering the subway all by myself. Although it was a little spooky. Too many movies with scary subway scenes. The voice that announced the next stop was a mumbled one, so it was best to rely on the signs for the appropriate stop. As we exited the subway a nice man was handing out maps. I had confused mother or tourist written on my forehead. He gave his spiel and pointed us in the direction of the Smithsonian and then asked for money for his cause. I gave him a few dollars. I was grateful for the help, but at the same time a little embarrassed that I was paying for a free map.

We went to the museum of Natural History, we wanted to see the Dinosaurs. I toted my camera all over and only took a few pictures here at the Natural History. They had a coral display that was made from knitted or crocheted yarn. It was so beautiful and one would have to look twice to notice it wasn't the real deal.


When we had finished here, Jim was ready to meet us for lunch. We had a few suggestions of places, each place that we went to, I would peruse the menu and make a decision. I don't eat fried food, so we turned down several greasy spoons before finding a nice restaurant that seemed to have something both myself and the boys would eat.

We still had more time and decided to visit another museum. I don't remember the specific name, but it had all the 1st ladies ball gowns. We stayed until closing time. Then decided we would make the walk back to the bus. It was so cold and the walk seemed to go on forever. We even hit some less desirable spots of DC. In hind sight I think we should have taken the subway. We were the first ones back on the bus and the bus driver welcomed us on. We visited with him until the others started trickling in. It was a full day, but a good day. At least none of us had to endure the traffic and drive home, the bus driver did all of that.

Speaking of bus trips. I get motion sickness on buses. If I take Dramamine it knocks me out so much I might was well stay home and sleep. I discovered Bonine a less drowsy motion illness medicine. It worked like a charm. I was fine on the bus and still able to have energy to walk all through DC. Those bus trips to NYC are looking up now.

No comments: