January 06, 2011

Make a splash at your Library






We are big supporters of our local library. Each summer they have a summer reading program. The boys are young enough that they are still in the "read to me group." Each book read must be written down along with the number of pages. The kids get prizes for completing certain goals. The library also recognizes the person that reads the most books and most pages.

The Library hosted a water fair on a Saturday. They had stations for the kids set up, duck pond, bubbles, bean bag toss. I was running a station so the boys were there all day with me. They had a lot of fun playing with the bubbles.

As for our results, I read about 60 books to the boys. The winner was over 700 books. We happen to know this family and had invited to go to the Amusement park with us and that was considered frivolous. Now I know why, they were spending all their time reading. Either that or the mom picked out the skinniest books she could. Oh and the prize was a pass to the Amusement park. I wonder if they used it then. Any way we enjoy reading and we loved going out to eat at Applebee's with our cousins.

I think this is Parker's last year to be in the "read to me group" so he will have control over the number of books that he reads. The summer can be a difficult time to sit still and read, when there are so many other activities going on.

They also offer if for the adults. Of course it takes awhile to complete just 1 book.

No comments: