February 28, 2010

Ginger bread houses

I still feel the need to go in chronological order and wanted to talk about Christmas and our month of December.


A friend of mine decided it would be fun to decorate Ginger bread houses. We got together one Saturday morning and worked on our creations. It was a lot harder than it looks. They kept falling apart. Luckily I was smart enough to make the kids out of graham crackers.

The best part was eating the treats. Here Parker is already eating the "decorations" and it is barely finished.


It took some time to make the dough and then to roll and cut out shapes. Then we didn't have stiff enough icing to keep them together. My friend's family actually uses caulk. They don't lick their fingers while glueing I guess.

There was no way that mine was going to support a traditional roof, so I had a solar roof. How cool is that? An environmentally friendly ginger bread house.
Of course Stanely wanted get involved with the late night baking when I was preparing my walls. He left an autogragh.

Then there was the question of how to transport this home. As I was trying to put the lid on my cake transporter I smooshed it and had to reglue it again. It crashed shortly after I got home. when the kids asked to eat the candy I was sure, what ever. I was frustrated with my ginger bread house. Next year I am sticking to graham crackers or buying the kit.

My friend Lora worked and worked on hers. I went back at a later time to got a picture of the finished result.

No comments: