August 31, 2011

Cars










We were 1st introduced to Disney's movie cars at my folks house. I think Parker was 2 and Preston was a baby. I remember this because Parker got to watch tv while I nurse Preston and we watched a lot of cars. Parker referred to the movie, " the one where the cars have eyes."

We were introduced the characters (Lightening McQeen, Mater, Doc, Red, Sally, The twins, Flo, Ramone, Lizzy, The Sheriff, the cow tractors, Frank (the bull combine), Mac, Filmore, Sarge, The King and Chick Hicks. I think I got everyone.

The Basic story for those who may not have seen this movie, Lightening McQeen is a rookie in the Piston Cup race Circuit (based on the Winston Cup race for Nascar). After having a 3 way tie at the race, the cars joke it is race to CA, the first one there will get smooze with the big sponsor Dinaco. Lightening McQeen insists they drive through the night to make good time. Along the way Mac gets drowsy and some teenagers play a trick on him. Some how the latch comes undone on the Macs truck and Lightening McQeen is stranded on the Interstate. After following a truck that is getting off the exit, McQueen finds himself stuck in "hillbilly hell." A police chase and a frantic McQueen ends up tearing up the road. His punishment is fixing the road. Lightening makes friends with the town and sees that the small town life is not so bad. He even picks up a few racing tips from the old Hudson Hornet.

A sweet and innocent story really. And we have watched this movie hundreds of time. Both boys love it. And an interesting tidbit for you, there are many similarities in the movie that coincide with NASCAR. For instance there really was a Hudson hornet in racing history. There really was a car that helped push another car over the finish line.

Here are some of my favorite lines from the movie:

Doc "you drive like you fix cars....lousy!"

Harv (Lightening's agent) "My star client disappears off the face of the Earth? How do you think I'm doing?...I'm doing great! You're everywhere, Baby! Radio, TV, the papers. You can't buy this kind of publicity. What do you need me for? That's just a figure of speech, by the way. You signed a contract."

Lightning McQueen: "I create feelings in others that they themselves don't understand."

Lightning McQueen: "Okay, here we go. Focus. Speed. I am speed. One winner, forty-two losers. I eat losers for breakfast. Breakfast? Maybe I should have had breakfast?

Mater: "I'd give my left lug nut to work with Bessie."

Mater: "You want to do what in your cup?"

Mac" Well gas can is my middle name."
McQueen : "Really?"
Mac "No"

So imagine our excitement when Cars2 was released. We went to the movies on opening day!!
The movie was not the same sweet innocent story that Cars was. It was more of a spy movie with suspense, high speed changes, explosions, and it had pokes at big oil too. I was a little disappointed. My boys are 6 and 4 and I feel they are a little young for spy movies and really getting the whole thing. The boys enjoyed the movie.



The stores had the new merchandise out as soon as the movie hit the theater. Preston got some of this for his birthday. They loved the new toys. I think I need to put the movie on our Amazon wish list.

For the movie I got a big bag of popcorn to share between the 3 of us and a Diet Coke. I prefer Diet Pepsi and I can tell a difference between the 2. (this could be another post). so halfway through my soda I am just not enjoying it as much as I usually do. I smuggled in water bottles for the boys to drink in secret. The water bottles aren't that big, maybe 12 ounces at most. Parker drank his pretty quickly. We then had to make 4 trips during the movie to use the restroom. Lucky for us it was right outside the door, so it was a quick trip.

We also met our friends Jen with Andrew and Annabelle to watch with us. however movies don't really give much opportunity to play or converse with one another. Jen and I visited a short while during the previews and she was at least there to take our picture to document that it really happened.

No comments: