March 10, 2013

Rhythm

Rhythm is a Dancer.
I got Rhythm.
The Rhythm of Life.

Just a few songs with the word rhythm in them. 

I tried a Zumba class 2 weeks ago.  I had been meaning to for quite some time, but just never really put it on the calendar.  I quite enjoyed myself.  It was a good workout and I felt wonderful afterwards.  The music was fun and upbeat.  The instructor was great.  She has a lot of confidence to direct a class in front of a wall of mirrors.  It was in front of these mirrors that I realized that I think I am a better dancer than I am.  As I looked around the room some ladies are better than others.

Everyone was very welcoming and accepting.  It didn't matter how old you are or what shape your body is in.  I did wear a green shirt my first day and so did 2 other ladies in the class.  They did joke about green being the color of the day.  No one was judgmental on my lack of coordination on some of the moves.  I am pretty good with footwork, but when you throw in rotating hips and arms it becomes a little more complicated.  

This all made me think of a comment my mother made many years ago.  My sister, Rebecca was 3 and I was 16.  She pointed out that my sister had better rhythm at 3 than I did at 16.  Does this mean the ability to keep the beat is a born gift?  Or is it something that can be learned? 

Keeping the beat is really something that I struggle with in playing the piano.  I wonder if this has anything to do with the rhythm I have within me.

Anyway I am not giving up zumba, dancing or playing the piano.  They are all things that I enjoy.  And I hope with more practice that I become good at zumba.  I may look funny on the dance, but I am having a good time.  And that is all that matters. 

No comments: